For the first time in over a decade, a South Asian whisky – Mithuna, from the Paul John Distillery in the tiny Indian state of Goa – has secured a top three place in Jim Murray’s hugely-influential Whisky Bible.
Globally renowned as among the world’s foremost whisky writers, Jim Murray releases annual editions of his hotly-contested Whisky Bible which ranks the world’s best drops, and undoubtedly offers massive prestige to the whisky brands featured in his ‘finest’ list.
Considered by whisky industry and connoisseurs as the most eye-catching podium entry of Jim Murray’s 2021 Whisky Bible – which typically features a litany of American and Scottish whiskies – Mithuna took third finest honours in the 2021 list, positioning the Indian-based Paul John Distillery among the world’s absolute finest.
In describing Mithuna for his 2021 Whiskey Bible, Murray says: “If Mithuna means “Ultimate,” then it is the perfect name. Or maybe Mithuna means “Perfect,” then it is pretty close. It is that very rarest of things. And, if nothing else, announces Paul John Distillery on the world stage of truly great distilleries. This is a whisky to devour…while it devours you.”
Produced by the Sazerac Company, which also produces 2021 second-place winner Stagg Jr. (128.4 proof) which Murray describes as ‘Spectacularly mind-blowing!’ and scored 97.5, Mithuna scored a 97 by Murray.
Mithuna is part of Paul John’s zodiac series. Mithuna’s predecessor in the zodiac series is Kanya, which was named Asian Whiskey of the Year in the 2018 edition of Jim Murray’s Whiskey Bible with a score of 96.
“India is not generally known for its whiskies so we’re incredibly proud and frankly, over the moon with this accolade,” said Mark Brown, Sazerac Company President and Chief Executive Officer.
“To have our whiskeys named the second and third finest whiskeys in the world is astonishing, especially following last year’s three top spots in the Whiskey Bible.
“It is truly a testament of the skill and dedication of not only our Master Distillers Harlen Wheatley at Buffalo Trace Distillery, and Michael D’souza at Paul John Distillery, but to all of our team members at Sazerac. We could not be happier and motivated to continue our quest to create the world’s best whiskey,” added Mr Brown.
The complete Sazerac whiskeys winning awards in “Jim Murray’s Whisky Bible 2021” are:
- Second Finest Whisky in the World – Stagg Jr. Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey (128.4 proof)
- Third Finest Whisky in the World – Paul John Mithuna
American whisky winners:
- Bourbon of the Year – Stagg Jr. Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey (128.4 proof)
- Second Finest Bourbon of the Year – William Larue Weller Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- Bourbon No Age Statement (Multiple Barrels) Stagg Jr. Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey (128.4 proof)
- Bourbon No Age Statement (Single Barrel) – Elmer T. Lee 100 Year Tribute Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- Rye of the Year – Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey
- Rye No Age Statement – Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey
- Rye 11-15 Years – Old Rip Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 Year Old Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey
- Rye Over 15 Years – Sazerac Rye 18 Year Old Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey
Asian whisky of the year:
- Paul John Mithuna
Jim Murray is a legend and leading player on the world’s whisky stage. It is now over 25 years since he became the world’s first-ever full-time whisky writer. The 2021 edition of his Whisky Bible marks the 18th year of annual publication. “Jim Murray’s Whiskey Bible 2021” can be pre-ordered at http://whiskybible.com/
Mithuna will be released worldwide in November and available in Australia in February 2021.
For more information about Mithuna, visit https://pauljohnwhisky.com/en/the-great-indian-single-malt-story